What are JobKeeper payments?

The JobKeeper payment helps businesses impacted by COVID-19 to cover the costs of their employees’ wages. The goal is to ensure more Australians can retain their jobs and continue to earn an income. 

If eligible, your employer will notify you if they intend to claim the fortnightly payment of $1,500 on your behalf. 

Most employees are not required to do anything further.

However, employees in the following circumstances will have additional obligations.

  • Employees that have multiple employers must notify the employer that is their primary employer.
  • Employees that are not Australian citizens must notify their employer of their visa status, to allow their employer to determine if they are an eligible employee.
  • Employees that are currently in receipt of, or have applied for, an income support payment should advise Services Australia of their change in circumstances online at my.gov.au or by telephone.


Employee who has been stood down and applied for income support.

Phoebe works at a cinema as a permanent full-time employee, but she has been stood down under the Fair Work Act without pay. Phoebe had registered an intent to claim with Services Australia for access to the JobSeeker Payment and the Coronavirus Supplement. 

Phoebe is single, with no children and in total she would be eligible to receive $1,124.50 before tax per fortnight from Services Australia. Phoebe’s employer has decided to apply for the JobKeeper Payment for all its eligible employees for up to six months. This would entitle Phoebe to $1,500 per fortnight before tax. 

Phoebe’s employer is required to advise her that she has been nominated as an eligible employee to receive the payment. If Phoebe elects to receive income support though Services Australia, she should advise Services Australia of the change in her circumstances. Phoebe may no longer be eligible for income support from Services Australia as a result of receiving the JobKeeper Payment.

General advice warning

Rollit Wealth provides general information only. You should assess whether the information is appropriate for you having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs and consider obtaining independent professional advice before making an investment decision. If information relates to a specific financial product you should obtain a copy of the PDS for that product and consider that statement before making a decision whether to acquire the product. Roll-it Super Pty Ltd. ACN 611 756 140. AFSL Authorised Representative No. 1273703 of MSC Advisory Pty Ltd. ACN 607 459 441. AFSL 480649 (MSCA).

Did this answer your question?